RLC-Series Air-Trap™Residential/Lite Commercial Negative/Positive Waterless Trap
Never Freezes – Never “Dries” Out!
The Air-Trap™ allows liquid condensate to drain from the HVAC equipment and simultaneously prevents air from entering or escaping from the equipment.
Des Champs Technologies, LLC has recently introduced the versatile RLC Series HVAC Air-Trap. The HVAC Air-Trap uses the air pressure generated by the fan, or gravity, to prevent air leakage from or to the air handler. The RLC Series can accommodate PVC drain pipe sizes from ½” to 2″ and up to 40 tons of refrigeration.
When oriented in the horizontal position it can accommodate essentially any HVAC unit negative plenum pressure and requires less than half the installation height of a standard P-trap. The lower height allows ease of installation and in many cases, reduces curb height requirements or in some cases eliminates the need for a curb. In addition, the RLC Series eliminates the following issues associated with the P-trap:
- Never requires priming or filling with water
- Since it operates dry when there is no condensate being produced, the trap and the drain line leading to the trap will not freeze
- There will be no geyser effect within the HVAC unit at the beginning of cooling season as is common with a dry P-trap
- Because the trap operates dry when no condensate is ﬂowing there will be no accumulation of sludge
- The HVAC Air-Trap is predesigned so errors caused by ﬁeld designed P-traps are eliminated
When the unit fan is blowing through the cooling coil the drain pan is under positive pressure. Under these conditions the RLC Series is oriented in the vertical position. In the positive pressure mode the maximum pressure in the unit plenum is 3 inches WC. All of the beneﬁts listed above are present when operating in the positive pressure mode plus the blow through that occurs on a dry P-trap is eliminated.
Negative Pressure – Orientation is Horizontal
- Condensate flow up to 4 GPM at any negative pressure
- Schedule 40 PVC with clean out port
- Retains no water after condensing has ceased
- ¾” slip internal or 1” fitting external connection – with bushings can connect to ½, 1 ¼, 1 ½ and 2” tubes
- Meets general building codes. For use on HVAC equipment only.
Positive Pressure – Orientation is Vertical
- Up to 3-inches positive pressure
- Up to 0.5 GPM water flow (≈ 40 tons)
Not for use as a sanitary trap.
Note: The attached drawings represent traps that operate under positive pressure. Never connect condensate drain directly to a sanitary drain line.
Flammability rating is UL94 V-0
The Air-Trap™ concept has been incorporated into IAPMO IGC 196-2018 Standard for Condensate Traps and Overflow Switches for Air-Conditioning Systems.
Send a request
Interested in products from Air-Trap? Leave a message and we will contact you as soon as possible.
C/O Energiteknik Lolland ApS
The FCN-Series Air-Trap™, N-Series Air-Trap™, P-Series Air-Trap™, RLC-Series Air-Trap™ and Union-Strainer™ are trademarks of Des Champs Technologies. All products are developed and manufactured by Des Champs Technologies, Virginia, USA.